Sunday, January 28, 2007

DIESEL DRIFTIN' & DRAMA

Yesterday, I took Jamie to the above-named event at the Timaru International Motor Raceway; the two of us going to the Motor Racing has become something we do together at this time of the year; the interesting thing is, the classes of racing vehicles alternate every 2 years, so we had the tier 1 V8s (plus many other classes, including the Formula Fords, Pre-65s, and Production Cars) last year, while we had the Drifting Cars, tier 2 V8s, Super Saloons, TraNZams, Minis & RX7s, and the Super Trucks this year! I took my picnic chair and Jamie took the child-size folding chair I bought him at the raceway last year. We got the same spot to sit as last time; and the really cool thing was, I was able to park the car right behind, just a few metres away! I'll tell you a little about each class...or vehicle....

THE DRIFTERS
These cars had their first time at Timaru; they drift (slide) around corners, and are judged on how good the drift was. The class was dominated by Nissans...mostly Silvias, though their were also others, including a Laurel, a Skyline & a Cefiro. They came with their own commentator, who sounded like he'd had three too many cans of Red Bull! :)

The MINIS & RX7s
For some reason, these two classes ran together! The Minis were the old ones, and looked great together; the RX7s were the Mk.1s, and sounded. great, though I'd have liked it if they were noisier. A couple of cars were black-flagged, over the course of the day, for being too loud, though I think that's ridiculous...and a bit, well, sad ::)

Sports Saloons
There were quite a variety of cars in this class, all Japanese, and the neat thing was, it was won by a Neville! :D) A heavily-modified Toyota Starlet blew up its guts near the end of the race, so that was entertaining.

The TraNZams
This is a class unique to NZ, as far as I know; it features the "big bangers," ie Chevy Camaros, Corvettes, a Pontiac, and the fastest car there, a rather quick Ford Mustang! Beautiful cars, these! The Mustang won, which I was pleased about.

Tier 2 V8s
This class consists of Aussie cars, the Holden Commodore & the Ford Falcon, and they looked & sounded fantastic...& I was amused to see the guiy who sold me my first motorbike, and my 2nd Datsun, struggling round the circuit in last place!

SUPER TRUCKS
These are the big rigs, often heavily modified & sporting big wings, which behave a bit like Dragons..OK, they don't spit fire, but they sure do smoke!!!

Jamie & I had a great time, & we intend to go again next year...I'll tell you about it then!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home