Sunday, March 02, 2008

Displaying the Collection!

I was very nervous yesterday morning...I'd been invited to display my Dr.Who Collection at a big local event - it was 40 years since the closing of the branch line to Fairlie, a town about 50km from here. It was a BIG event...the Army was there, demonstrating a .50 calibre machine gun, and firing a much bigger gun; many vintage cars turned up; a flight simulator was just outside; etc, etc....

It was the first time I'd EVER displayed my Collection; so I was very nervous! I took out my half-completed Dalek, Delia (I later sat in her, eating my lunch). I was blessed, as I'd been able to pick out my own spot (a benefit of being a volunteer at the Railway Museum where the event was held). So, I had a large pin-board right behind me!! I put up framed photos, posters, framed covers from the Radio Times, calendar centrefolds (Dr.Who of course!), and so on... Altogether, I had THREE trestle tables - I only expected to have two, but someone didn't turn up, so I had a third to demonstrate R/C Daleks & K9 on! There was a lot of interest; I spoke to many people, telling them about my hobby, showing them pics of the characters/actors who inspired our childrens' names, giving them a demo of my TARDIS playset, and showing off my gold-plated Dr.Who fob watch! I dressed in my costume for the event - many of the public also dressed up, in clothes that would have been in fashion 60 years ago. It was great! :D Watch this space, for pics of the display!

1 Comments:

Blogger AllyBally said...

Having had an advance peek at the piccies (;^D), that's a very impressive collection you've got!

10:30 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home