Friday, August 24, 2007

The UNDIE 500

Tonight, we took 7 kids for tea at KFC; while there, hundreds of Canterbury (and some Otago) University students descended on Ashbury (otherwise known as "Takeaway Alley!" - in one small area, you can get KFC, McD's, Pizza Hut (spee-ew), Indian, Fish 'n' Chips, etc). The UNDIE 500 is an annual event for students.....to quote the TV news:

More than 150 vehicles valued at under $500 each entered the alcohol-fuelled road trip, which has five pub stops along the way. But in the midst of the madness there is commonsense and every car is registered and warranted and must have a sober driver.

I interviewed 5 young women at the Timaru KFC who were involved in the Undie 500 - they were comely wenches with a good sense of humour (this is for any Friesians who are reading!).
Two of them - Sophie (Business studies) and Amanda (Medicine) - were dressed as Friesian Cows; complete with Udders! It's great how many bad jokes can be wrung out of such costumes.
ie, One of the "Cows" said, "It's impressive you can remember all of our names.......but what if we sat in different places?" Nev: "Well, that's easy - Amanda's udder hangs low; while Sophie's udder sits high!!" :D
Mind you, I think my having just read Rule No.5 - NO SEX ON THE BUS (Brian Thacker) may have helped my banter; as if I needed any!! ::) Going clockwise around the table, Andrea (Accounting) was what I'd call "the girl who hoses down the cows," or a Milkmaid. Next up were Laura (Law), and Shannon (Forrestry), who were Managers of the Herd. All these were titles I bestowed upon them, and they took it with good grace. I chatted with them for a while, until Wifey said "Eat your tea...we've gotta go!" :) We then headed over to McDonalds, where the kids had ice cream, and I quaffed a large Cappucino. Then, the Circus came to town....the kids had never seen anything like it!! There were guys dressed as Goldfish; Ninja Turtles; US Soldiers; Chefs (dudes dressed only in matching aprons & g-strings); Sailor Girls; Princesses; Kenny dudes (from the movie KENNY - google it); Paris Hilton; etc, etc. I didn't do any more interviews, but it was great to see the many costumes. It reminded me of my Uni days - I must finish my degree some day.....

On the way back to my car from McDonalds, the kids had to avoid puke from one of the "Undie" girls.....where was Andrea when I needed her? Oh, of course...she's not paid to hose down drunk undergraduates! LOL! *** I'd love to know what those peop. spent on their costumes... the body make-up alone would've cost a fortune. Some guys painted each other up to look black; which shows dedication (I know - I was once painted orange to look like on of the Fantastic Four, for a fellow student's 20th Birthday. This was just 12 years ago). *** And the vehicles... the Cows had their Estate painted like a bovine, which was cute; less cute was the Penis Flytrap van ::) - others were accessorised with corrugated iron; old blankets; cardboard wings; beer kegs & other inventive decs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home