Tuesday, August 28, 2007

More UNDIE 500 News!

Well, after an amusing Friday night meeting & observing various Undie 500 students, it was sad to see that some of those that I saw were involved in a riot in Dunedin (my home city) on Saturday night; they fought with the cops & set fire to cars, putting the future of the Southern UNDIE 500 in doubt. You'll note that I typed the "Southern" Undie 500...YES....there's one up North, too! On the Offshore Island! ;) (I say the Offshore Island, because here in NZ the South Island is the "Mainland"; so the more populous North Island must be the Offshore Island :D )
The Northern UNDIE 500 is rather different...while those in the Southern event wear undergarments as part of a team costume (quite rare), the idea of the Southern events name is, as I recounted in the earlier blog, 'cos the cars are supposed to be bought for under $500. However, in Auckland, it's a quick 500 metre race for teams of students in their Undies!! Teams often wear matching knickers/briefs. I'll try & get a pic to show what I'm on about :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home