Sunday, July 16, 2006

What A Weekend!

Well, our weekend away in Queenstown - NZ's premier resort town - was awesome; we arrived there late on Friday night, after a four hour journey. I'd forgotten just how far it is...! At 350km, it's quite a long way.
We checked into the Millennium Hotel, and got to sleep. I'd managed to find a park just across the road from the hotel; its underground carpark wasn't big enough, but never mind. *** Breakfast on the Saturday, was yummy...I discovered I could order fried eggs at the servery, as well as helping myself to the breakfast buffet...I had 2 fried eggs, toast, bacon, baked beans, fried potato, orange juice & coffee!

Saturday Morning
Margaret had a little free time, before going to lectures/presentations at her medical conference...well, OK. She decided she'd rather skip the "waffly" early talks! :) We went & bought a hat for my brother-in-law, and then checked out a local park for the kids. We went back to the hotel, & got a bell-boy to sort out the Nickelodeon channel for us; this kept the kids more or less amused for the next 90 mins.

Lunch & the Arvo
For lunch, we had sandwiches in our room to save money; then we tried to go to the Zoological Gardens...but they were closed! :( I suggested we go for a ride on the "Duck" (a former WWII amphibious landing vehicle) - we eventually agreed we'll do that next time. :) So, we tried my 2nd suggestion...we went to the Kiwi & Birdlife Park! There, we saw a Maori Cultural group, and many NZ birds - including the Kiwi, the Pukeko, the Black Stilt, the Kea...and the Tuatara, our brilliant large Lizard! This was the first time I'd seen one, & it was BRILLIANT. About 450mm long, it was 20 years old, & just awesome. Part two of my weekend memories...tomorrow!

2 Comments:

Blogger Freddie said...

Hi Doc..glad you all had a wonderful time..i went and had a look at the Kiwi & Birdlife Park web site..looks like lots of fun..did you take any pictures by any chance ?
look forward to reading the rest of your weekend..

xoxo

4:09 am  
Blogger Nev said...

I took pics, but not of that...the Kiwi & Birdlife park is a happy memory :) - I took pics of the awesome scenery, to be posted, er, when I can...it's gonna get crazy around here this week!

8:42 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home